During the day of Up Helly Aa there is a break in the festivities between the morning procession and the torch procession after dark. The Jarl Squad is making its way through the town, stopping in to several local schools and official buildings as part of their duties of the day. While they’re about […]
When I decided to make this trip up to Lerwick for Up Helly Aa I didn’t know anything at all about the Shetland Islands, except that they were way up in the North Sea and they have cute ponies. Did I ever tell you that I grew up on horses, and that my very […]
And here you were thinking we were so crazy to be out in the frozen hurricane for the Up Helly Aa torch procession? Is it bad enough that we braved the wind and rain to see a bunch of Vikings burn down a ship? Would you think less of me if I told you we […]
So remember how I was telling you about the beautiful weather during the Vikings’ morning procession for Up Helly Aa? And we were so happy to see clear skies with nearly no wind? And how we thought it would be a beautiful night for the torch procession that evening? Ya, no. That didn’t happen. Instead, […]
A year of hoping, months of poking around for information, a dozen phone calls, frantic internet searches for tickets and accommodation, some ups and downs during the course of planning, and finally we were there! I first heard of Up Helly Aa a year ago when Adventurous Kate wrote about her experience. I knew right […]
Who are these people?
Peg and Brian - An American photographer and her hot Scottish husband, expats and slow travelers out in the world and writing about it. Along the way we hope to see amazing sights, meet interesting people, stay in roach free lodgings and stay alive. So far, so good (except for the roaches).
- The Up Helly Aa Torch Procession – 2013 February 1, 2013
- Setting Foot on the Isle of May February 18, 2013
- 365 Times Two – Because I Can January 4, 2014
- The Newly Arrived Expat Struggle October 8, 2013
- 365 Photo Project – Week 9 March 3, 2013
- MIA But Still Standing November 28, 2014
- Needle in a Haystack June 11, 2014
- 365 Photo Project – May 2014 June 7, 2014
- What Must They Think Of Us? May 31, 2014
- Me Talk Pretty One Day* May 19, 2014
- akil3655: Thanks, Nancy! That's why it's great to go to th...
- NanC: I'm proud of you, girl. You have more moxie than...
- akil3655: Being married to a good travel buddy is always a g...
- Joseff: My favourite travel buddy is my wife. She's just ...
- akil3655: Share a photo if you have a chance to take one! We...
Buy prints – Click the photo to see the gallery
Where in the world?
View A Kilt and A Camera in a larger map