During the day of Up Helly Aa there is a break in the festivities between the morning procession and the torch procession after dark. The Jarl Squad is making its way through the town, stopping in to several local schools and official buildings as part of their duties of the day. While they’re about […]
So remember how I was telling you about the beautiful weather during the Vikings’ morning procession for Up Helly Aa? And we were so happy to see clear skies with nearly no wind? And how we thought it would be a beautiful night for the torch procession that evening? Ya, no. That didn’t happen. Instead, […]
New Year’s Eve! How did the year go by so quickly? Time is flying, life is short, another year is gone. It’s a little bit scary to see how fast it’s going, but I kind of like the reminder. Life is short! I need to pay attention and take advantage of the time we have. […]
Back in June, when Brian was already in Scotland and I was waiting for my visa in Houston he made arrangements for a big birthday surprise for me. He bought the tickets, invited friends and made a loose plan for a fun weekend in Edinburgh. My birthday is in October. Brian has about a two […]
This is my fourth time to visit Scotland. Every other time I’ve been here in the summer, we missed the Tattoo by just a few days. Have I mentioned that I’m a sucker for musical shows and pageantry? This time, as soon as I knew we’d be here at the right time I started pestering […]
I’ll let the photos do the talking. Edinburgh’s Royal Mile has been transformed! Normally you can find two or three buskers up near the castle but for the next three weeks you’ll see dozens and dozens, each one more wild than the next! Of course I had heard of the Fringe Festival before, but I […]
The world famous Sambadrome in Rio de Janeiro. We saw it for the first time during a very touristy bus tour of the city. I was surprised as we pulled in to the parking space just next to the bleacher style seats. When the party is over, and the massive and oddly shaped stadium is […]
Who are these people?
Peg and Brian - An American photographer and her hot Scottish husband, expats and slow travelers out in the world and writing about it. Along the way we hope to see amazing sights, meet interesting people, stay in roach free lodgings and stay alive. So far, so good (except for the roaches).
- The Up Helly Aa Torch Procession – 2013 February 1, 2013
- Setting Foot on the Isle of May February 18, 2013
- 365 Times Two – Because I Can January 4, 2014
- The Newly Arrived Expat Struggle October 8, 2013
- 365 Photo Project – Week 9 March 3, 2013
- MIA But Still Standing November 28, 2014
- Needle in a Haystack June 11, 2014
- 365 Photo Project – May 2014 June 7, 2014
- What Must They Think Of Us? May 31, 2014
- Me Talk Pretty One Day* May 19, 2014
- akil3655: Thanks, Nancy! That's why it's great to go to th...
- NanC: I'm proud of you, girl. You have more moxie than...
- akil3655: Being married to a good travel buddy is always a g...
- Joseff: My favourite travel buddy is my wife. She's just ...
- akil3655: Share a photo if you have a chance to take one! We...
Buy prints – Click the photo to see the gallery
Where in the world?
View A Kilt and A Camera in a larger map